PSC Home / For Consumers / Consumers Corner

Consumer Corner

Timely Info from the Consumer Assistance staff at the PSC


Planning a Move?

PSC Can Tell You If Your Carrier is Registered

Are you planning a move and want to hire a moving company to do the heavy lifting and hauling? Carriers transporting household goods within Montana must be registered with the Montana Public Service Commission (PSC).

To ensure a seamless move contact the PSC at 1-800-646-6150 or .  The PSC cannot recommend a household goods carrier, but we can advise you if the mover you are interested in using is registered, if they have active insurance on file, what their rules and rates are, and if any complaints have been filed against the company. 

When you have decided which moving company to use, you should ask them for a written estimate based on an in-person inspection of your household goods. You may also consider purchasing additional protection from the carrier for your household goods and setting the value of your belongings to an amount that makes you comfortable in case of loss or damage.

Ask the mover about coverage if damage occurs when you pack your own goods, or if the company packs for you. Some companies will not reimburse the customer if damage occurs when the customer does their own packing. Photographing or filming your belongings before they are packed is a good idea. Be sure to inspect as many items in the delivery as possible prior to signing the delivery receipt. If there is any loss or damage during the move, you should first contact the motor carrier in writing as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach a resolution with the household goods carrier you should then contact the PSC.

For more information contact the Consumer Assistance Division at  (800) 646-6150.



Categories: Blog, Consumer Tips